Filters are key to securing your data using the VGS Platform. Filters are the logic that dictates which data is segmented to our secure vault and what passes through directly to your systems or third party systems. In this tutorial we’ll discuss a bit about filters. Filters go hand in hand with Operations
A Filter has three parts an ‘Attribute’, an ‘Operator’ (in, not in, matches, equals, etc.) and a final ‘Variable’ field that ties it all together.
The image below shows the expanded Filter Attributes drop-down. Beneath that is a brief definition.
- ‘HTTP Method’: GET, POST, PATCH, PUT, DELETE, HEAD, CONNECT, OPTIONS, TRACE (this is the only attribute with set variables)
- ‘PathInfo’: The path where your filter will fire. /payments, depending on the operator this can be beginsWith, or matches (using Regex) or equals, among other options.
- ‘ContentType’ : Header Information ex. application/json
- ‘Status’: ex: 200, 301.
The operators are expanded below. With brief descriptions under that.
- ‘equals’: exact match case sensitive
- ‘does not equal’: is not an exact match case sensitive
- ‘in’: contains the variable
- ‘not in’: does not contain the variable
- ‘begins with’: the path, content-type, etc begins with the variable
- ‘does not begin with’: exclusionary operator
- ‘matches’: REGEX pattern matching option.
- ‘ends with’: Whatever the attribute, ends with should match your variable.
- ‘does not end with’: exclusionary ends with
- ‘is empty’: does not require a variable - just tells if the attribute is empty
- ‘is not empty’: does not require a variable - just tells if the attribute has a value.
The final field in the Filter condition, blank on everything but HTTP Methods. You should fill this field out.
- Aside from HTTP Methods, this field is for you to enter information and build filter conditions.
Common Filter Examples¶
'HTTP Method' 'equals' 'POST'
'Status Code' 'equals' '200'
'ContentType' 'equals' 'text/xml'
'PathInfo' 'begins with' '/cards'
'ContentType' 'begins with' 'text/html;'
Why Filters are Important¶
The filters are the logic that tells the platform to segment your data on the fly to the vault and replace with alias values or let the payload pass through untouched.
If you need help, have questions, or comments regarding this page contact us on our site live chat, or at email@example.com